Thursday 30 May 2013

hello goodbye hello goodbye

"you say goodbye, and I say hello"

I always thought it was such an odd and kind of sad song, however after saying so many hellos and goodbyes in the past month, my perspective has seriously changed.

In the past month I've said so many hellos and goodbyes to so many people I love and it was exhausting.

Recently though, I've had a bit of a shift in the way I approach it. I've decided not to say goodbye but to say hello. When I said hello to Josh and my parents I got to welcome them into my life here, something that up until that moment had really been mine and mine alone. Then when it came time to say goodbye it felt utterly bizarre as I'd now welcomed them into this life and they were just leaving!


reunited: stuffed faces and bubbles outside Sagrada Familia, Barcelona


What I've realised now however, is that I get to say hello to something new. I get to say hello to how life is now that they've come and gone and that's a new adventure in itself. I have little places and feelings here that make me think of them and when I Skype them and talk about where I've been or who I've been with lately, they get it!

Whilst Mum and Dad were here we found a great little bistro/cafe that we frequented several times each day for coffee, food or a drink, or to just sit an read our book. Since they've been home I've been back by myself and it's this wonderful little comfort for me. Last time I skyped them while I was there and it felt like we were all back together again!

When Josh was here he was always pointing out to me how pretty the streets were or how interesting the architecture was. Now when I was my same route to university each day, I just notice things more and my day is brightened by the thought of him appreciating the little things.

On the other side of the world I've also had to say goodbye to some very special 'people' without actually being able to say goodbye.
My beautiful dog, and best friend, Bella sadly passed away while we were in Lucca. I'd prepared myself for this eventuality before leaving but it didn't make it any less sad when I found out.

puppy bella 


Shortly after we got news that Josh's beloved Nonno Andrea had passed away. My heart goes out to all  of his family at home.
Saying goodbye is never easy, especially when you're not there, but I think that a goodbye is something we have to do for ourselves, to acknowledge our loss and to step forward in life with a different view.


Josh, Andrea and I at Raignah and Karol's engagement.


I keep on seeing little black dogs and giving them an extra pat or their owners an extra big smile for Bella. I think of Andrea every time I thank someone or say goodbye. Whenever he did one of the two, he would clutch my hands and look straight in my eye so that I just understood completely what he was trying to say without a word being said.

Last night we said goodbye to the first person to leave winscho.
There were glassy eyes everywhere and we all began to dread the next couple of months and the number of goodbyes we'd have to say.

Today I've decided that you say goodbye, and I say hello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99jVPJUeqr4



No comments:

Post a Comment